Welcome to a new weekly feature here at brokencool.com. I've always wondered why Hip-Hop artists should be the only ones getting interviewed...what about the fans of the music? Yes I realize artists are fans as well but no one ever shines the light on the people who actually pay to go to the concerts, buy (or download) the music and argue with their friends about why artist X is better than artist A. Each week brokencool.com will profile your average Hip-Hop fan and get inside their head, finding out what makes them tick and gauging their opinions on the current state of the music. If you want to be profiled email email@example.com. Here is the second installment featuring Armond Goss.
broken cool: How old are you?
bc: Where are you from?
Originally from St Louis, MO but being a military brat I grew up everywhere.
bc: When did you first start listening to Hip-Hop?
My cousin used to live with us when I was young & he always had it playing in the house. I became a fan on my own when I was 3.
bc: Do you remember the first Hip-Hop album you bought?
I know I had the 12" to LL's "I'm Bad." I remember I had a Best of the Fat Boys tape & Kool Moe Dee "Knowledge is King", don't remember what I bought first but those were my earliest memories.
bc: Do you have an all-time favorite album?
Probably Jay-Z's "Blueprint." That CD defined my senior year. I actually downloaded & burned that during computer lab in real audio on four 3.5 floppys, then bought the real thing on 9/11.
bc: What 5 current rappers do you think are the dopest?
1. Been a big Joe Budden fan since everybody thought he was Rasheed Wallace.
2. Phonte is dope, he blends hip hop & r&b seamlessly.
3. Lupe of course.
4. Drake, I've been a fan since "Think Good Thoughts", but "So Far Gone" is album of the year easily.
5. Novelist, he's a cat out of Cleveland that I think is crazy...reminds me of Nas without the contradictions & better beats.
bc: What 5 current rappers do you think are the wackest?
1. Eminem - technically he's dope. He's got all the mechanics down better than anybody. But the whole "shock value" thing is a step backwards. With Proof dying, his drug addiction & other stuff in his life I thought he was gonna bring it on "Relapse", instead he did the complete opposite. I'm done.
2. Charles Hamilton - He's regressed since "Outside Looking In." He doesn't sound motivated, he Papoosed himself.
3. Kid Cudi - dude's music sounds like a Soundclick demo *shrugs*.
4. Jadakiss - His style hasn't changed or developed in 13 years. That's wack.
5. Wayne - I work harder than a hard worker...
bc: What are your favorite blogs and websites?
The whole NMC, wadeoradio.com, Twitter, SOHH.
bc: Where do you get most of your new music from?
I kinda scour & end up stumbling onto stuff. I still use boxden somewhat.
bc: What kind of MP3 player do you have?
80 gig classic ipod. I have a 4th gen 60 gig that I dropped in water, anybody know if i can get it fixed?
bc: What is one thing you wish Hip-Hop artists would do more?
Stop trying to be everything to everybody. Rappers think they gotta be in the club, the streets, in a girl's ear & on the radio all at once. Find your lane & cater to it. It's 8 billion rappers out trying to do the same thing. Be yourself.
bc: Outside of Hip-Hop, who are some other artists you listen to?
I'm married w/ 2 kids so I really don't play hip hop like that. For the most part it's R&B, old school, & gospel.
bc: If you were a rapper what would your MC name be?
MC Such & Such.
bc: How can other Hip-Hop fans connect with you? Do you have Twitter? Myspace? etc.